The first thing that pops into my head when I hear jelly roll is ‘yay cake!!’ I never would have thought to call strips of fabric that measure 2 ½” x width of fabric, a ‘jelly roll’. I guess that’s why I sell and quilt with the fabric and not design it 😉 They are usually sold in packs of 42 that include one of every fabric in a collection, or a group of coordinating fabrics. You can also find them called Rollie Pollies or Roll Ups.
Benefits of Jelly Rolls ~
- Ideal for borders, binding, and sashing.
- You can make oodols of simple projects from one jelly roll: baby quilts, bags, table runners, placemats, rugs, and rug mugs.
- Ideal for new quilters because it doesn’t require additional cutting supplies.
- Time saver for busy quilters, your cutting is done.
- Economical because there is very little waste.
There are other pre-cuts you can buy, and you can read more about them here.