I was so confused when I started looking at different fabric cuts and pre-cuts. How much fabric is in that charm pack? How many strips are in a jelly roll? What can I make with these pre-cut sets?
Pre-cuts are a pre-measured cut of fabric, such as a Fat Quarter or Charm sampler, usually sold in packs that include one of every fabric in a collection, or a group of coordinating fabrics. Generally, every fabric in a pre-cut pack is the same cut.
Benefits of Pre-cuts ~
- One of the biggest benefits of pre-cuts is there is very little fabric wasted when using them. Many pattern makers today utilize most of a pre-cut set when designing a pattern, leaving you with few scraps to store.
- Their small footprint is ideal for storage. Jelly Rolls, Charm Packs, and Layer Cakes all fit neatly into a container or drawer.
- Many times sellers do not purchase every fabric in a particular line, with pre-cuts you get an entire collection to work with.
- The fabrics all match. They are colour coordinated and blend seamlessly with the entire collection.
- You have more time to sew! Pre-cuts save you time by not needing to cut fabric.
Read more about the different pre-cuts here: